Building Our Future: It Starts With Us
Building our Future on the Land-Grant Legacy
The College of Agriculture, Food and Environment will build on its legacy of fulfilling the land-grant promise of educational excellence, civic leadership, transformational research, and shared knowledge serving the common good.
The College of Agriculture, Food and Environment serves the people of the Commonwealth and across the world through education, outreach, service, and research by finding solutions to improve lives today and creating a sustainable future.
We do this by:
- educating current and future leaders
- producing and disseminating knowledge through creative research and discovery
- promoting lifelong learning and strengthening Kentucky communities through applied knowledge
We respond to the needs of society through:
- engaging and listening
- collaboration, innovation, and application of knowledge
We foster creativity and discovery by:
- accepting challenges and taking risks
- investigating complex issues
- being inclusive and open-minded to new ideas
We strive for the highest quality in all we do by:
- encouraging personal accountability and high ethical standards for all employees and clientele
- promoting continual improvement to ensure high-level results
- encouraging pride for and commitment to the college
We pursue the development of people and places by:
- encouraging leadership and service
- providing opportunities through education and training
- valuing and listening to employees and respecting diverse perspectives
We promote teamwork and a supportive work environment by:
- open-minded, encouraging, and supportive leadership
- adaptive work assignments to support collaborative opportunities
- respectful and open communications
We integrate teaching, research, and extension in our work.
We recruit, retain, and graduate students who are competent, responsible, and workforce ready.
Our research is cutting-edge and relevant to the scientific community, students, partners, communities, and families.
Our Cooperative Extension programs are engaged in Kentucky’s 120 counties, identifying and addressing needs in agriculture, natural resources, 4-H and youth development, and family and consumer sciences.
Strong relationships bind us to community groups, farmers and commodity organizations, private industries and businesses, alumni, and governmental entities.
We provide a positive work environment for faculty and staff.
- Prepare highly motivated and culturally adaptive graduates who are competitive in a global economy and support societal values.
- Build and nurture relationships with the people of the Commonwealth and across the world.
- Recruit, develop, and retain exceptional faculty and staff who are leaders in expanding knowledge to improve the quality of life and sustainability of the human and physical environment.
- Show CAFE commitment to diversity and inclusion to attract and retain students, staff, and faculty, and provide a culturally aware environment for successful engagement in a global society.
- Produce innovative solutions through multidisciplinary collaborations.
- Build state-of-the-art facilities equipped with cutting-edge technology.